Letters from Leadership
August 6, 2007
Natural Disaster Preparedness
Taking the necessary steps to protect your home, family, and pets before a natural disaster, such as a hurricane or tornado, is the smartest plan. You should also take steps to ensure your finances are in order long before local officials call for an evacuation. This will save you a trip to University Federal Credit Union (UFCU) so you can evacuate without delay. You will also experience less difficulty in maintaining your accounts and finances in the aftermath of a disaster.
Why should I prepare financially?
In the event of a disaster ATMs and financial institutions might be unavailable for extended periods. If this happens, you should be prepared for a “cash only” environment until communications and electrical services are restored. Obtaining additional cash and managing your finances will be easier with direct deposit and electronic services.
What should I do today?
Take advantage of the following UFCU services:
- Establish direct deposit with your employer, social security, or other federal agency.
- Enroll in UFCU’s Online Banking and Bill Pay.
- Apply for a UFCU VISA® Debit/Check Card and UFCU Credit Card.
What should I do before evacuating?
Be prepared at least five to seven days before officials call for an evacuation so you can get out without delay. Here's how:
- Make arrangements to have needed cash and or traveler’s checks on hand.
- Visit UFCU’s website to locate Credit Union Service Centers on your evacuation route. This will enable you to access your accounts and conduct transactions at numerous locations. Certain restrictions may apply to daily cash withdrawals and cash back. UFCU’s website will be used to alert members about conditions affecting our facilities.
- Don't forget to pack your UFCU VISA® Debit/Check Card, Credit Card, and checkbook.
What should I know about UFCU?
- Your funds at UFCU are insured up to $100,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
- UFCU Disaster Recovery Plans ensure member records are secured and accessible even if UFCU's facilities are damaged.
- UFCU will obey all civil defense warnings and directives in the event of severe weather.
- UFCU will stand ready to take necessary actions to protect its facilities, records, and personnel. Consequently, branch closures, cash withdrawal limits, and interruptions to electronic services may be necessary.
I know during a natural disaster times are stressful. UFCU is committed to helping you prepare financially. As always, thank you for your membership and business!
Tony C. Budet